Flossing should be an enjoyable experience for you, your teeth and gums. Knowing the proper flossing technique is essential for clean, healthy teeth, which is why our team is going to give you five simple steps you can follow to master the perfect floss.
1. Start by breaking off about 18 inches of floss and winding both ends around the index fingers of both hands, leaving about an inch or two to work with.
2. Next, grab the floss between your thumbs and forefingers, pinching it to have a sturdy hold on the floss.
3. Take the floss and begin by gliding the floss between your teeth, using a gentle rubbing motion. Try and avoid snapping the floss between your gums, this can cause bleeding.
4. Once the floss reaches the gum line, curve it into a C shape against one tooth. Carefully and gently slide the floss between the tooth and gum, following along the shape of the tooth.
5. After you have finished moving the floss up and down along the tooth, finish by repeating the same steps with your remaining teeth. Don’t forget to get the backside of your last tooth.
After flossing all of your teeth, throw the floss away! Used pieces of floss are not only ineffective; they also can leave bacteria behind in your mouth. Don’t hesitate to contact our office with any questions or concerns about flossing by calling 979-297-0337 today!