Early detection is everything
At Distinctive Dental Services, we are committed to your dental health. During your visit, Dr. Elrod will perform an oral cancer screening using VELscope. This procedure has helped patients throughout Lake Jackson and beyond catch and treat early signs of cancer.
Oral cancer can usually be successfully treated when detected early. Unfortunately, most cases are not detected until they have progressed into an advanced stage that can be very difficult to treat. We use the latest procedures and technology to detect and treat oral cancer and other abnormalities as early as possible.
Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- A persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- A persistent or lasting sore on the face, neck, or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the face, neck, or mouth
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other parts of the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
If you have experienced any of the above, contact us immediately to schedule your oral cancer screening. Remember, early detection is everything!