Early detection is everything
At Distinctive Dental Services, we are committed to your complete oral health, and not just your teeth. That includes keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.
During your visit, Dr. Elrod will perform an oral cancer screening using VELscope. This procedure has helped patients throughout Lake Jackson catch and treat early signs of cancer.
VELscope is a fantastic piece of technology that uses fluorescence to highlight—literally—the difference between healthy cells and problematic ones. Best of all, it requires no chemical concoctions or injections.
VELscope, along with other standard diagnosis methods, will help to catch any possibility of cancer early. Oral cancer can usually be successfully treated when detected this early. Unfortunately, most cases are not detected until they have progressed into an advanced stage, with much more recognizable symptoms. By this point, it can be very difficult to treat.
When it comes to cancers, and severe oral diseases, early detection makes a huge difference. That’s why we use the latest procedures and technology. It’s both our job and our goal to detect and treat oral cancer and other abnormalities as early as possible.
Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- A persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- A persistent or lasting sore on the face, neck, or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the face, neck, or mouth
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other parts of the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
If you have experienced any of the above, contact us immediately to schedule your oral cancer screening. Remember, early detection is everything!